Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What’s stress got to do with it?

It’s amazing the impact that stress has on my life. When I’m not dealing with it effectively, I find myself eating mindlessly for comfort and relief. Not only is that a bad solution, it doesn’t relieve my stress and it packs on the pounds like there’s no tomorrow, helping me to arrive at the obese state of affairs I find myself in today. My third week TOPS SMART goal was to journal my stresses for at least 3 days. Boy, it seems like I let a lot of things bug me. Identifying them was my first step in dealing with the nasty little pests.

My Uptight and Out of Sight Stressors
·         Work pressures
·         Family disagreements and misunderstandings
·         Financial worries
·         Reductions in income
·         Clutter in the home, office or yard
·         Driving in traffic
·         Husband not listening
·         Crowds and noise
·         Loud TV
·         Too much TV
·         Health concerns
·         Fuzzy brain and lack of mental clarity
·         Children’s and grandchildren’s problems
·         Friend’s problems
·         Impending retirement
My Stress Busters
·         Getaway to Orcas Island
·         Swim
·         Play the piano, psaltery, or guitar
·         Write a song expressing my thoughts and emotions
·         Visit a friend
·         Visit kids and grandkids
·         Take a trip to a lake, river, or ocean beach
·         Fish
·         Canoe
·         Beachcombing
·         Visit and share music at a nursing home
·         Garden
·         Creative writing
·         Pray
·         Read
·         Meditate
·         Nap
·         Phone a friend

My stress busters aren’t necessarily in this order, but these are some of the things that relax me. As I made my list, I realized that some I haven’t done in more than a year. It’s time to get back to the simple pleasures in life instead of taking the easy way out by overeating. .