Monday, June 27, 2011

Manly Mani-Pedi Rewards


      Learning to reward ourselves with something other than food takes some thought and planning. For Father’s Day I took Jim for a surprise manicure and pedicure. I dropped him off at the salon, told him to be good and tip well.
      I returned an hour later with my grandson JJ to pick him up. JJ was wide eyed at seeing great big grandpa reclined in the vibrating pedicure throne, with a tiny little technician punching him, topping off his mani-pedi with a deep tissue massage and brisk pounding of his arms, shoulders and calves.
       I asked the ladies having their nails done if he had behaved himself, and they replied, “we hardly knew he was here except for his occasional groans of pleasure”. Jim said he felt thoroughly pampered and that it was the best dad’s day gift he’d ever gotten. “Now I know why women love having these done” he said while shuffling around in a mellow daze for the rest of the day.
      In the past I have rewarded myself and celebrated with food, typically ice cream or sweets. Now I’m looking for new ways to treat myself well.
      It’s easier for me to recognize and reward someone else, than to reward myself, but I’m working at changing that way of thinking. Maybe one of these days, perhaps when I’ve lost 50 pounds it will be my turn for a mani-pedi.