Friday, October 14, 2011

'Souper' Suppers!

The cool weather has put me in a mood for soup. It has been fun coming up with modified recipes to get nutrient rich, low calorie versions that are tasty. As big as hubby is, he's a picky eater, so if it passes the Jim test, I feel pretty good about the concoction. I've had 3 winners in the past week. I took a scalloped potato soup recipe that I saw in a magazine, replaced the heavy cream with skim milk, added loads of vegetables, and it was a huge hit. I've seen the Dr. on PBS touting the benefits of eating GOMBS (green beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds) every day, so I made a wonderful vegetable beef soup that had the GOM part and a sorbet dessert made with strawberries, nonfat milk, and flax seeds, that was delicious and very filling for the BS part. The third winner is a spinach soup that not only Popeye would love, but Jim does too! I'm working at keeping my salt intake down, and since store bought soups are loaded with sodium, these healthy home made versions are made without added salt for me, and everyone else in the house can put as much as they want in their own bowls. I'd love to get your favorite soup recipes. You can send them to me at jrmadison@comcast.net. Check out this great article and recipe on soups by clicking on this link to an article that ran in the Tacoma News Tribune for  Chef Rocco DeSpirito's Slim Soup .