Wednesday, July 6, 2011

JULY 4th FOOD & FREEDOM

Holidays and a bountiful feast seem to go hand-in-hand, or hand-to-mouth in my case. This Independence Day I decided to celebrate not only our nation's freedom, but make a stand for freedom from my addictive and harmful binge eating habits. You'll have to read to the end to see if I won my battle and lost, or lost my battle and gained.

I set my TOPS SMART goal for the week, planning for the temptations the holiday and our mini vacation to Orcas Island would bring. I determined to stick with my sensible eating plan of 1200-1500 calories a day, and enjoy being with family more than eating food.

I set the stage for success by packing the ice chest with healthy food choices and planning our meal menus ahead of time.We had lots of bottled water in the car for the long drive and ferry trip to the island.

Rather than planning to lay around, read, relax, and snack nonstop as we often do, I filled our days with active adventures with the grandchildren, parade viewing, beach combing, pottery making, playground and tree house exploration.

I did make a monstrous pot of whole wheat spaghetti for the gang to enjoy, but consciously limited my portion size, bypassed the garlic bread, and had a healthy salad serving.

Instead of pigging out on gargantuan bowls of ice cream as I usually would, we bought a carton of ice cream sandwiches, only enough for me to have one after they were shared with all, and I stayed within my exchanges and calories for the day.

The result was a very nice loss at my weekly TOPS weigh in last night, bringing me to a grand total loss of 27 pounds over the last 5 weeks since starting the program. The change in my measurements over these 1st 5 weeks on TOPS is 2 inches off my chest, 6 inches off my waist, 5 inches off my hips.

A very nice start in my battle to win the war over obesity and find freedom from fat.