Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Down 6 Pounds In One Week!

I was thrilled to step up to the scale at the TOPS meeting last night to get the wonderful weigh in results showing a big 6 pound loss in one week. Actually a week plus one day, as I couldn't go to my regular meeting due to my work schedule and visited another meeting on Tuesday evening.

What made the difference in this unusually large weekly loss? Well it all comes down to the math of better food choices and more movement.

As I looked over my calorie consumption and exercise journal for the week, I see that I kept my calories at a very balanced 1200 every day. I allow myself up to 1500 balanced food group calories, but just wasn't hungry for more than the 1200 during this past week.

On top of the disciplined intake of food, my energy expenditures were higher than normal. I kept up with my hour a day moving in the swimming pool at LA Fitness plus did a bit more walking than usual as I try to increase my levels of mobility, flexibility, balance, and endurance.

So it all comes down to simple math, 3500 calories less than what you burn over the week equals 1 pound of fat loss. This means to lose 6 pounds I burned 21,000 extra calories, that my body had to turn to my fat cells instead of the food I was taking in to find the energy.

I've never been fond of math, but this kind is fantastic!

I'm not allowing myself any mindless munching. Every morsel that goes in my mouth is mindful and recorded. Every exercise I do is recorded. Then I do the math. Gains and losses should no longer be sneaking up on me with surprise attacks.

There is one variable that I am also watching vigilantly. My salt intake. I'm no longer having pre-prepared foods that are loaded with hidden sodium that can make me retain water like crazy, puff up like a helium balloon, and not reflect a weight loss, or worse yet, raise my blood pressure dangerously high.

My clothes are getting baggy, my blood pressure is down to normal, and I've lost 43 whopping pounds since starting on the journey May 31, 2011. I'm not quite jumping for joy, since I've still got too much excess weight to get off the ground easily, but I am celebrating the great start on my jiggles to joy journey.